From the bustling area of Nyhavn to the majestic Amalienborg Palace, you'll be introduced to notable buildings and sculptures that remind us of Denmark's past as a slave-trading nation. This walk is an ideal activity alone or in a group, providing time to reflect and discuss the unfolding story as you journey towards the next chapter. A unique way to mix sightseeing and socializing!
All you need is your device and headset. Download the app, and lose yourself in an intriguing tale. The in-app map will guide you effortlessly between locations.
Special Offer! Podwalk, canal tour, and bus sightseeing in one ticket
Experience both Copenhagen's rich history and present with our unique combination ticket. It includes a 1-hour Classic Canal Tour, 48-hour Hop On-Hop Off bus access, and the moving podwalk 'The Slaves of Copenhagen'.
How Do I Access the Podwalk?
Start Your Podwalk Journey:
- Purchase 'The Slaves of Copenhagen' ticket(s) further down
- Use your smartphone to activate the app and your ticket. Simply click on the link in your confirmation email (if you don't receive it within a few minutes, please check your spam mail)
- Begin your podwalk from Nyhavn 11
NB: This podwalk is not recommended for persons under the age of 15 years as it contains descriptions that may be intense.
Uncover Hidden Stories
Sugar. Sweet, seductive, and closely linked to the dark and untold stories from Copenhagen's past. This is 'The Slaves of Copenhagen' - a podwalk, that leads you through the city's historic streets, shining a light on the untold tales hidden behind the city's impressive facades. The tour takes you to locations in Copenhagen, marked by the sugar industry and slavery.
Experience History First-Hand
The Podwalk takes you to Ghana in 1802, tracing the distressing tale of Kwame, a 14-year-old boy captured by slave hunters. Experience his painful journey from Africa to the New World, a stark representation of the countless lives devastated by the sugar industry. Kwame's story takes you right into these historic moments.
- The tour is available in both English and Danish
- You get the best experience if you use a headset
- The tour takes about 1 hour and the distance is approximately 2,5 km. Use the in-app map to navigate to your next location