Pedal boats have been - and still are! - Amsterdam’s top attraction since 1984. No wonder in the number one cycling city of the world. On a pedal boat (also called canal bike) you easily navigate through the canals at your own pace and squeeze in a little exercise while you’re at it. Discover Amsterdam from the water (also known as the best point of view for the city)!
Why you should rent a pedal boat
There are so many ways to discover the city. By a one-hour canal cruise, a hop on – hop off tour or by foot. Another truly unique way to explore the Dutch capital is by pedal boat.
- You decide the pace of your entire journey – and that’s exactly what you’re looking for on a day off or a holiday, right?
- Bring your own food and beverages for a small picnic on the water whilst the 17th century canal houses are the perfect backdrop for your picture. Make sure to keep track of time, tho.
- The pedal boat is emission-free! Which makes this a really cool green alternative.
- Amsterdam as seen from the water is really beautiful. You’ll find out why the canal ring is on the UNESCO World Heritage list as soon as you start your trip.
- You’re being really active, while still sitting. It’s the best combination of a little bodily activity and a lot of sightseeing!
- Cruising down the canals on a pedal boat is straight up fun!
Pedal boat hire
You can rent a pedal boat from 9 in the morning until 4 in the afternoon (the last departure will be at 4 o’clock, so you’re able to cruise the canals after that, still). Closing times may vary due to weather predictions or special holidays.
When you decide to be an early bird and rent a canal bike between nine and noon, you receive a free cup of coffee or tea to go.
Choose between pedal boating for an hour or an hour and a half. With both durations you have plenty of time to enjoy the city, but we recommend renting the canal bike for 1.5 hours if you really want to take it easy and soak in all the architecture and allure of the city you’ll find along the way.
You can rent one pedal boat for a maximum of four people.
Location of the pedal boats
With four rental locations in the city, it’s easy to find one near you. You’re able to rent the pedalos at these shops:
- Stromma Shop Rijksmusem – Stadhouderskade 520
- Stromma Shop Leidseplein – Leidse Bosje 2
- Stromma Shop Westerkerk – Prinsengracht 279
- Stromma Shop Keizersgracht – Keizersgracht 512 (during the summer season)
Due to the immense popularity, we recommend you to book your pedal boat in advance. This way you’re ensured of a canal bike and – also very important – get an online discount to save you some money you can also spend on a drink or snack in the city!
For groups of 12 persons (or more) please contact our reservation department for special rates: +31 20-2170500 / email@example.com.
You leave a €10,- deposit p.p. when picking up the pedal boat, which you get returned once the pedal is brought back to the pick-up location.
Children under 12 require adult supervision.